Saturday, August 25, 2012

Blog Banter 39 - I'm Like the Gypsy Band!

"Some say a man's home is his castle. For others it is wherever they lay their hat. The concept is just as nebulous in the New Eden sandbox. 

In EVE Online, what does the concept of "home" mean to you?"


Home in Eve for me has been many, many different places for me. It all started a long time ago, in a solar system far, far, away.......

Poinen V, Internal Security Assembly Plant.
This was my first home. I was a noob, I was a carebear, I didn't have a clue. Whilst the Caldari State pretty much hates me, Internal Security still likes me due to the hundreds of missions I grinded as a solo player. FEAR MY CARACAL O'DOOM!


Gicodel, Sisters of Eve Bureau
This was my first true home when an old mate said he played Eve too and invited me over to join the corp he was in. It was very much "carebear as usual" but now with the Sisters of Eve. I was lucky as running storyline missions for the Caldari meant my Gallente standings were -4.8. Thankfully this was when you were either shoot on sight in the Empire (-5 standing or worse) or were not (-4.99999 standing or better). I was soon loved by the Frogs.


Villore, Federal Defence Union Logistics Support.

Now this corp I joined was a carebear corp, but they had one weekend a month in Faction War for PvP'ing. I tried it, I died. Horribly. After a few goes I'd just go AFK on FW weekends and did something else. However, after about 6 months of hiding under a rock when anyone said PvP, I thought I'd give it another go. This time it clicked and I loved it. In spring of 2009 when there was a choice to merge with the well known FW corp Shadows of the Federation, and I was one of the big supporters. We merged and moved to Villore which was the hi-sec staging area for the Gallente Militia.


Nennamalia, Wiyrkkomi Peace Corps Assembly Plant
As the tide turned against the Caladri who at that time owned the entire war zone, it became more and more difficult to find targets. The front line had been pushed back from the Gallente's doorstep further into low-sec, so we moved. My first low-sec home! The screenshot is a bit sick due to the current incursion


Nisuwa, State Protectorate Logistics Support
Now if I had to pick one system to call home of all these, it would be Nisuwa. A big pirate alliance decided to move into Nennamalia and we needed to move out. At that time we couldn't compete with them. So we moved further into the war zone and only three jumps from the enemies high-sec staging system at the time!


Road Trips
We had a number of road trips to various low-sec and null-sec locations. However I don't count them home any more than a hotel when I go on holiday.

2DWM-2, Z'ha'dum
We got an invitation to join R.A.G.E. as part of the NC. We moved to null-sec, and we even spunked 17bn to build our own outpost! If you get the connection with the station name, then you are a real Sci-Fi geek! However null-sec blob warfare wasn't for us so we moved back to Nisuwa and sold the outpost at a loss a few months later. However, we didn't mind..... as a few weeks after we left a LOT of angry Russians came stomping through and took the system.

   

Kamela V, 24th Imperial Crusade Logistics Support
Was it Kamela or was it Sosala? These Amarr stations all look the same to me! This was a short home when we tried the doomed alliance with Wolfsbrigade. We dropped faction war and headed to their area and went pirate for a while. That didn't work out due to WBR being serious and having short, medium and long term goals and business plans and we having..... drink!


Nisuwa, State Protectorate Logistics Support
So it was back to Nisuwa and back to our roots in Faction War. There were road trips, but Nisuwa was always our main base.

Nennamalia, Wiyrkkomi Peace Corps Assembly Plant
In July I left SoTF as they were getting serious and having short, medium and long term goals and business plans (mmmmm deja vu) and joined QCATS. So basically I have gone full circle. After three years living outside of hi-sec in various places, I'm back to where I started.

The Future Home

There is talk of a possible move, and I cannot believe the location suggested......

Conclusion
So the blog banter asked what does the concept of 'home' in Eve mean to me. As you can see from the above it doesn't much. Home is where I am "permanently" based from. However, as you can see there is very little permanent about my homes. May be that is the way of low-sec PvP. You move around looking for the fights. I guess I'm nothing more than a Gypsy! May be if QCATS doesn't work out I should join this lot purely due to their AT X advert....


P.S. On the subject of recruitment my old corp, Shadows of the Federation, are recruiting and asked if I'd give them a shout-out. Whilst they have got a bit too serious these days for my play-style, if you are looking for some awesome fleets of awesomeness, amazing FC's, cap fights including supers and general top-of-the-line PvP then they might be the guys for you. Think one of the top PvP corps in game with extra alcohol - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=147437&find=unread

Others on this Blog Banter:-
http://lowseclifestyle.blogspot.com/2012/08/somewhere-i-belong.html
http://smallshipsftw.wordpress.com/

3 comments:

  1. Who are you?
    What do you want?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Poinen screenshot is stunning. Great mini-autobiography too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lies ! Back to Nisuwa where you belong ! :)

    ReplyDelete