Monday, May 12, 2014

Bug Swatting

I undocked in a Tristan yesterday and started to scan the plex in system. As I did a Atron undocked, saw me, made range and aggressed. I knew there was no point in agressing back as he was kitey and I was short range. So I docked and undocked again.

I found a Merlin and a Tormentor in a plex as I restarted plex scanning but that Atron started attacking me again. So I docked and undocked again. He was still there and tried a third time. This time he really started to piss me off. So I docked, swapped ships to something more suitable to deal with a random in a kitey Atron and came back out. He was gone!


I scanned that plex again and the Merlin and Tormentor were still there, plus an Atron.

It then dawned on me were I was looking. The plex was located hard right out of the undock towards the Kedama gate. I know that approach to the station very well as you never land within insta-docking range from that approach. You always have a few seconds of burning even warping to zero. I quickly docked up and undocked a Cockbag Thrasher. As I undocked I turned a hard right and tried to judge the range. Nisuwa station has a massive undock radius and I thought it was something like 30km from the undock point on that approach. Then I waited.


I kept updating the scan....

Merlin, Tormentor, Atron....
Merlin, Tormentor, Atron....
Merlin, Tormentor, Atron....
Merlin, Tormentor, Atron....
Merlin, Tormentor, Atron....
Merlin, Tormentor, Atron....
Merlin, Tormentor, Atron....
Merlin, Tormentor, Capsule!

So they'd got him, only question was would he warp to the station direct. Of course he would, why not.

He landed slightly out of optimal and outside of point range. I'd miscalculated! I quickly overheated my long point and fired my pre-overheated guns. The volley took him down to low armour (he was nearly triple optimal range.)


I watched the guns cycle slowly. I assume he was spamming dock. Finally the guns fired. One less kiter and one less 100m ISK pod! Could have been better, but there is some satisfaction in swatting an annoying fly!

1 comment:

  1. Good job, there is a definite home field advanced in knowing the quirks of the stations you live in.

    ReplyDelete